To listen to this week’s podcast, click the arrow below:
Welcome to Season 9, Episode 8, of the ParentingAces Podcast! You are in for a treat this week as we chat with the Dent family: Phil, Taylor, and Jenny!
Taylor Dent, formerly ranked #21 on the ATP Tour, is a past guest on our podcast. He has coached several top players since retiring from professional tennis, and is now running a very successful program in Texas alongside his father and wife.
In this week’s episode, all 3 Dents share their coaching philosophy in terms of both on-court and off-court work, and their commitment to producing not only great tennis players but also great humans.
I first met Taylor at the US Open several years ago when he was working with Jared Donaldson. I couldn’t help but be impressed with his no-nonsense approach to sport and his humility when talking about his own accomplishments.
A few months ago, the director of The Birch Racquet and Lawn Club reached out to me asking if I’d like to interview Taylor, Phil, and Jenny. Of course, I said YES!
In case you aren’t familiar with this very impressive family, here are some facts taken from their academy website:
- Formerly Ranked #21 in the world
- Served 149mph at the French Open, 148mph at Wimbledon and 147mph at the US Open — all in 2010, and all serve speed records at these Grand Slams
- Won 4 ATP singles titles in Newport (2002), Bangkok (2003), Memphis (2003) and Moscow (2003)
- Coached Jared Donaldson (2013-2017) to the top 100 in the world and 2016 US Open 3rd rd
- Placed 4th in the 2004 Olympics in Athens
- Captured wins over Novak Djokovic, Andy Roddick, James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin during his ATP career
- Recorded in the International Tennis Hall of Fame, Taylor and Phil are the only father-son duo to have won ATP titles in the Open Era
- Known as the Serve Doctor throughout the ATP and WTA tours
- Reached #12 in the world in 1977, finishing the year at #19
- Coached Michael Chang and Maria Sharapova
- Doubles Grand Slam Champion at both the US and Australian Open
- Claimed mixed-doubles champion at the US Open in 1976 (with teammate Billie Jean King)
- Captured wins over Rod Laver, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors during professional tennis career
- Helped lead his native country of Australia to victories at both the Davis Cup in 1977 and the World Team Cup in 1979
- Reached #52 in the WTA world rankings
- Competed on the WTA tour for 7 years and accumulated 6 International Tennis Federation Women’s Singles titles
- Won the 2005 World Team Tennis Championships with Martina Hingis as her doubles partner
- Competed against Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Monica Seles and Jennifer Capriati during her professional tennis career
- Captured The Missouri State Tennis Title in 1996
- Mother of 4 children and CEO of the Birch Racquet and Lawn Club
As always, a big thank you to Morgan Stone, aka STØNE, for our NEW intro and outro music this season. You can find more of his music at SoundCloud.com/stonemuzic. If you’re interested in House Music, please be sure to check out his social media channels on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
If you’re so inclined, please share this – and all our episodes! – with your tennis community. You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or via the ParentingAces website. If you haven’t already, be sure to become a Member of ParentingAces – we have 4 options for you – by clicking here.
We have also started a Patreon page for those of you not ready to take the plunge as a Premium Member. You can make a donation of any size to support our podcast by clicking here. Thank you!